Subject: RE: off topic: ssl setup on web server inside firewall
From: Daniel Todd <dtodd @ usweb . com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:24:03 -0800
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Netscape and Microsoft browsers compare the hostname in the Common Name
field of the certificate to the URL that the browser is trying to
contact.  The easiest way to do this is to setup the outside DNS to
resolve www.name.com to an interface on the firewall.  The firewall can
then pass traffic on port 443 (the SSL port) to the webserver.  The
browser will receive a certificate with www.name.com and as long as the
URL starts with https://www.name.com/...  they will match.

Another approach would be to put the webserver outside the firewall and
then use a different encrypted channel to go from the server through the
firewall to the data store behind the firewall.  The advantage of this
model is that the encrypted channel can then be intercepted by the
firewall and the contents examined, it also sets separate controls on
the content and the server adding finer resolution great reliability to
the security model.  In the previous example if the webserver is
compromised there is no way for the firewall to see what is happening on
the channel.

cheers,
dan