Subject: Re: Seesion Wall-3
From: Lai Chack An <calai @ usa . net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:54:07 +0800
To: List_Mail @ vsebav . com, firewalls @ GreatCircle . com

Hi,
        First of all I would like to state that I have no affiliation
with Abirnet ;~)

        I've personally tested and evaluated SessionWall3 and found it
to be a great product. When it says monitors, it REALLY monitors! It
monitors WYUSIWYS (What your user see is what you see ;~P) It even shows
passwords of telnet sessions, ftp sessions, smtp mails http pages etc.
Besides monitoring, it generates traffic reports eg what % of your
traffic is telnet, ftp etc etc.

        About its "firewall" kind of functionality, it provides a
passive kind of a firewall ie it put the NIC in promiscuous mode and
look at all traffic passing by, when a certain traffic violates a
predetermined rule set, it will prevent the session from being
established. by sending reset signals to both the client and server side
before the session (3 way handshake) could be established.

        Performance wise, it was rather sluggish on the Pentium 100 '95
machine w/16Meg Ram I was using for the test. I think that this product
is quite good and definately worth a look. It is not suitable for use as
a corporate firewall but as a second line of defence, it is quite
sufficient, not to mentioned about its "stealth" capability, noone will
know if you have such a product on your LAN or not ;~)

Regards,
Charles Lai

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: NT or not?