Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1997)

Subject: Re: NAT router
From: Eric Vyncke <evyncke @ cisco . com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:19:01 +0000
To: Thierry Boivin <Thierry . Boivin @ cdc . com>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:13 12/06/97 +0100, Thierry Boivin wrote:
>Hi,
>I am looking for a router  which could perform Network Address Translation
>INCLUDING THE SPECIAL CASE OF THE FTP PROTOCOL (where ftp data have also to
>be translated).  I just need a router, not a real firewall like PIX,
>Firewall-1,  proxy firewalls,  .... Any suggestion ?

As a Cisco employee, may I recommend you the plain Cisco router
with 11.2 release and the NAT feature (this usually means buying
a more expensive image).

The router NAT can handle: FTP and the infamous PORT command, ICMP, ...

It can also handle dynamically 'dual NAT' provided you rely on DNS.
Dual NAT is needed when you are using illegal IP addresses in your
internal network and want to be able to reach the host with your/its
IP addresses on the Internet.

- eric

>                                                          Thierry Boivin
>                                                       Control Data France

  Eric Vyncke
Technical Consultant              Cisco Systems Belgium SA/NV
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke @
 cisco .
 com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Securing a job in security industry