Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Firewalls vs Blocking Sites
From: Todd Graham Lewis <lists @ reflections . mindspring . com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:34:12 -0500 (EST)
To: Vojin Urosevic <vojin @ vsonic . fi>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Vojin Urosevic wrote:

> It's easier to keep a swiss-knife next to your monitor just in case you get
> all mixed up with the arp table, in order to take your collegues net card.
> :).

There are cards in existence which will allow you to set the MAC address.
I have seen it done, and I have seen an attack work based on this feature.

In fact, Cisco markets a router product based on its ability to do just
that.

__
Todd Graham Lewis             Linux!                 Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises  tlewis @
 mindspring .
 com   (800) 719 4664, x2804