Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Firewalls vs Blocking Sites
From: Rabid Wombat <wombat @ mcfeely . bsfs . org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:15:33 -0500 (EST)
To: Paul Ferguson <pferguso @ cisco . com>
Cc: Sean Fuller <c60201 @ zone . arnold . af . mil>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Sounds like you're in for one huge internal low-tech denial of service
attack, to me ... ;)

(Somebody running around to every workstation and accessing "playboy" one
night after hours from every machine, or a few evening hours spent
"borrowing" the IP addresses assigned to other PCs, and you've got a pile
of annoyed users, shutdown browsers, etc.)

-r.w.

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> So -- how many messages have you received since then?  ;-)
>
> - paul
>
> At 07:51 AM 10/29/96 -0600, Sean Fuller wrote:
>
> >I just wrote some software for our firewall that locks access by
> >an ethernet address whenever someone accesses anything within
> >a list of about 520 pornographic sites.  The person who accesses
> >the site gets a message in their browser that says that they
> >hit a site that is non-official in nature and all internet access
> >from their client will be blocked.  Any subsequent accesses
> >by their client tells them that their client machine was used
> >to access material that was non-official in nature, and so they
> >cannot access the Internet any more.  They are told how they can get
> >their access reinstated within the messages that are returned by the proxy.
> >The web security proxy sends email whenever it locks somebody's PC.
> >

> --
> Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
> Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||
> Herndon, Virginia   USA                                ||||      ||||
> e-mail: pferguso @
 cisco .
 com                         c i s c o S y s t e m s