Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Web Site Blocking
From: blizzard @ netpart . com
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:47:34 -0700
To: Irwin Lazar <lazar @ netevolve . COM>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Irwin Lazar wrote:

> Quick question.  We are working on a large distributed network that will
> have several points to the Internet.
>
> One of the requirements is to be able to filter access to certain web sites
> of the adult nature.  The network will have four access points to the
> Internet.
>
> Is it possible to control this type of access through a high-end
> application layer firewall placed at the internet points, or is the only
> way to do this through a product such as net-nanny running on the
> individual PC's?

With a network of any size, you really want to have a filter that
resides
on a server.  Also, if you're serious about this, you'll want to have
the
sites being filtered updated frequently.  You mentioned "adult sites",
new
ones of those get created every day.

WebSENSE is one product you can use that does both these things.  It
runs
in conjunction with firewalls.  You can get more info about it at
http://www.netpart.com/websense

Phil Trubey                          |          Manufacturers of
NetPartners Internet Solutions, Inc. |               WebSENSE
E-mail: phil @
 netpart .
 com             |      Internet Screening System
Phone:  619-505-3041                 |       http://www.netpart.com/