Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Web Site Blocking
From: Benedikt Stockebrand <benedikt @ devnull . ruhr . de>
Date: 25 Oct 1996 21:30:41 +0200
To: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

robw @
 marineterminals .
 com (Robert Williams) writes:

> Based on this, my present company
> created a specific policy (to go along with all the others) about
> pronographic material and work.  Basically, our policy makes retrieval or
> storage of "adult" material a first-time fireable offense.  To back this
> policy up, we essentially log *everything* and review logs for site content
> among other things.  This method is draconian, indeed, and I don't
> necessarily agree with it, but the executive gods are happy, and "misuse" is
> a rare exception.

As was suggested here some time ago, it seems a very good idea to send
every user some sort of usage report generated from the logs.  I don't
remember the details, but I'd go for a list of all URLs people have
visited and an info about how much of the total W3 traffic they
caused, something like ``You caused about 7.83 times as much WWW
traffic as your average fellow cow-orker'', sent out maybe once or
twice a week.

    Ben

--
Ben(edikt)? Stockebrand    Runaway ping.de Admin---Never Ever Trust Old Friends
My name and email address are not to be added to any list used for advertising