Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Web Site Blocking
From: robw @ marineterminals . com (Robert Williams)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:52:09 -0700
To: Irwin Lazar <lazar @ netevolve . com>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

About any "firewall" or proxy product will allow you to filter (disallow)
specified destinations.  However, the issue is the sheer number of adult
sites available, and their changing nature.  Additionaly, using net-nanny or
similar products might cause unwanted tension with employees (trust thing).
Our organization looked at this issue.  As with all Internet access rules,
the first place your org should work is on your Policy.  (And I don't mean
the rule set).  Under the present laws, retention of pornographic material
can be construed as sexual harassment.  Based on this, my present company
created a specific policy (to go along with all the others) about
pronographic material and work.  Basically, our policy makes retrieval or
storage of "adult" material a first-time fireable offense.  To back this
policy up, we essentially log *everything* and review logs for site content
among other things.  This method is draconian, indeed, and I don't
necessarily agree with it, but the executive gods are happy, and "misuse" is
a rare exception.

My $0.02

Rob Williams

At 05:18 PM 10/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>Quick question.  We are working on a large distributed network that will
>have several points to the Internet.
>
>One of the requirements is to be able to filter access to certain web sites
>of the adult nature.  The network will have four access points to the
>Internet.
>
>Is it possible to control this type of access through a high-end
>application layer firewall placed at the internet points, or is the only
>way to do this through a product such as net-nanny running on the
>individual PC's?
>
>thanks for any responses.
>lazar @
 netevolve .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Web Site Blocking