Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Virus Walls
From: Shelly Nuessle <shellyn @ sky . net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:46:38 -0500
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

I know this is slow in coming but... I have tested Mimesweeper and
Interscan.  NT versions of both.  Interscan uses Trend's built -in
scanner, I used F-PROT with Mimesweeper.  In general, mimesweeper only
does mail, but will also check content.  It is slower, like due to
non-integrated scanner, and that it will recusively scan everything
(text, compressed, encoded etc).  Trend currently does it all (SMTP, FTP
and HTTP), is fast, but does virus only. And it does not check "text",
just attachments.

I did not test McAfee because - it requires at least one dedicated
server, with their "enhanced" OS on it.  For our T3, they said three
servers, one for each function and they did not yet support anything
above 56K.

Drop me a line if you'd like more info on our test...

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: NFS vs. FTP FWALL-FWD