Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: re: Running out of IPs
From: sazah @ ibu . sj . nec . com (Sunny Azah)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:15:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: scott @ zorch . sf-bay . org
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> Newsgroups: zorch.lists.firewalls
> From: scott @
 zorch .
 sf-bay .
 org (Scott Hazen Mueller)
> Subject: Re: Running out of IPs
> Date: 	Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:16:58 GMT
> Apparently-To: firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM

> >> For the sake of argument, I'd love to hear why people consider NAT's evil.
>
> >See RFC1627 (Net 10 considered harmful).
>
> I dunno about NATs, but I see RFC 1597 addresses leaking on a regular basis,
> ever since we started blocking and reporting them.

Proxy firewalls cannot make this mistake, unless of course you use
an RFC 1597 address on the external interface.

--

Regards,

Sunny Azah - sazah @
 ibu .
 sj .
 nec .
 com

                            Internet Business Unit, Home of the PrivateNet
                            NEC Technologies, Inc.
                            110 Rio Robles San Jose, CA 95134
                            Tel:(408) 433-2161 FAX:(408) 433-1230

http://www.privatenet.nec.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: SSH and proxy firewalls