Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: WINDOWS 95 SETUP/Hidden files..
From: "Jerry McKane" <jerrym @ Onramp . NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:29:24 -0500
To: "Ron DuFresne" <dufresne @ parka . winternet . com>, "Inderjit S Gabrie" <indy @ aero . gla . ac . uk>
Cc: <Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

try fdisk /mbr

<Picture>
How to Remove Windows NT Boot Sector
Article ID: Q103049
Revision Date: 24-SEP-1996

 - Microsoft Windows NT operating system version 3.1
 - Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1
 - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.5, 3.51, and 4.0
 - Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.5, 3.51, and 4.0

This article details procedures that enable you to remove Windows NT boot
sector from your system. Before you begin, make sure you know where Windows
NT is installed, how much of it you want to remove, and how your hard disk
drive is partitioned and formatted. Then, go to one of the following
sections:

 - Removing Windows NT from the Boot Sequence
 - Removing a Primary NTFS Partition

Removing Windows NT from the Boot Sequence

There are two ways to remove the Windows NT boot sector from your computer:

 - If you want to return to your original MS-DOS configuration, boot
   MS-DOS and type "sys c:" (without the quotation marks). This
   command replaces the Windows NT boot sector with the MS-DOS boot
   sector, and allows your computer to boot straight into MS-DOS. The
   following files are left in the root directory and can be deleted
   after you perform the SYS operation:

      PAGEFILE.SYS
      BOOT.INI
      NTLDR
      NTDETECT.COM
      NTBOOTDD.SYS

   NOTE: NTBOOTDD.SYS is installed only if you have a SCSI Host
   Adapter installed in Windows NT.

 - If you want to leave NTLDR on the disk, you can boot MS-DOS without
   prompting by changing the startup operating system and time-out
   value. To do so, choose the System icon in the Control Panel,
   select MS-DOS in the Startup box, and type "0" (without the
   quotation marks) in the Show List For box.

   NOTE: If the primary partition was converted to NTFS, the only way
   to return to starting MS-DOS only is to reformat the drive and
   reinstall MS-DOS. See the next section if this is the case.

Removing a Primary NTFS Partition

In general, attempts to modify the primary, bootable, NTFS partition fail
for the following reasons:

 - MS-DOS versions 5.0 and 6.0 do not recognize an NTFS partition. The
   MS-DOS Fdisk program reports an NTFS partition as an OS/2
   high-performance file system (HPFS) partition.

 - You cannot modify or delete an NTFS primary partition within
   itself.

To delete or modify a primary NTFS partition, perform any one of the
following four procedures:

 - Boot MS-DOS version 6.0 from a floppy disk and press RETURN to
   continue installing MS-DOS 6. When prompted to do so, choose
   "Remove files".

 - Initiate Windows NT installation from floppy disks or CD-ROM.
   When prompted to do so, choose "P" to remove the partition.

 - Use the DELPART utility to delete the NTFS partition. DELPART is
   provided in the Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Resource Kit. Note that
   DELPART cannot delete a logical drive in the extended partition.

 - Boot OS/2 version 1.x from a floppy disk and run its Fdisk program.
   To remove the partition, specify the /D option.

NOTE: After you remove the Windows NT boot sector and want more disk space,
you can delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\System32 directory. If you
want to run Windows NT again, you must reinstall.

KBCategory: kbsetup kbfasttip
KBSubcategory: ntsetup ntgeneral
Additional reference words: prodnt 3.10 3.50 3.51 4.00 uninstall tshoot
delpart winprod win32sdk win32 sdk

THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS
ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  IN NO
EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF
MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.  SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION
OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES
SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1996.

----------
> From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne @
 parka .
 winternet .
 com>
> To: Inderjit S Gabrie <indy @
 aero .
 gla .
 ac .
 uk>
> Cc: Firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
> Subject: Re: WINDOWS 95 SETUP/Hidden files..
> Date: Tuesday, October 15, 1996 1:30 PM
>
> On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Inderjit S Gabrie wrote:
>
> >                 I've just started installing Windows95 software on an
old
> > PC, which previously had Windows 3.1 and Windows NT for Workgroups on
it,
> > i've deleted all the old junk files and have edited out Autoexec.bat
and
> > config.sys files, deleted all the application files etc...done the
Windows
> > 95 installation on it, but however found out that some of the old files
> > were still on the Hard disk, thay must be hidden files etc..
> >

> >                                         Could someone tell me what the
> > procedure is when installing Windows 95 software on to a old PC and how
> > get rid of all hidden files and is it a good idea to get rid of the old
> > Auto exec and config files etc.
> >

> >                                                 Since i am doing this
> > installation for the first time , i would appreciate  all the help i
could
> > get.....thanks in advance......indy
>

> Format the HD, might require an fdisk if you used ntfs, before doing any
> install.
>
> Later,
>
> Ron DuFresne
> "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
> eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
> business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
> 	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***
>
> OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Solaris traceroute lag affecting Checkpoint performance..?