Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Generic Proxy
From: Jean-Francois Zwobada <zwobada @ apogee-com . fr>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:41:11 +0200
To: Alejandro Motta <amotta @ ifi . unizh . ch>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Alejandro Motta wrote:

> Can someone tell me, how a generic proxy works, and if it secure for
> supporting internet services, which are not directly supported by the
> proxies ?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Alex.
When you use a generic proxy you have 1 technical problem and 2 security
problem.

TECHNICAL PROBLEM:
A generic proxy cannot handle services such as ftp (opening new
connections during a session)
SECURITY PROBLEMS:
You cannot be sure someone won't use it as a tunnel for something
else.
You have to rely on the server you're relaying the traffic to, and wish
it has no security hole......... :o)

Jean-Francois
--
_____ Jean-Francois Zwobada (mailto:zwobada @
 apogee-com .

Apogee Communications              Tel    : +33 (1) 69 85 56 47
			           Fax    : +33 (1) 69 85 56 48
"      ### Retrieving "Murphy's Law" record in database ###
  perror: Unknown error code. Refer to the Unlucky User's Guide"

    From: Alejandro Motta <amotta @ ifi . unizh . ch>
Indexed By Date Previous: NetGuard
From: Richard Lowe <R . Lowe @ pindar . co . uk>
Next: Re: NT Firewalls
From: Jean-Francois Zwobada <zwobada @ apogee-com . fr>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Generic Proxy
From: Alejandro Motta <amotta @ ifi . unizh . ch>
Next: Re: Generic Proxy
From: sazah @ ibu . sj . nec . com (Sunny Azah)