Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: cisco 2511 file transfer through firewall.
From: Jim Lester <jim . lester @ ljo . dec . com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 21:00:12 -0500
To: "Steven E. Matkoski" <matkoski @ dreamscape . com>, Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Steve,

Digital's AltaVista Tunnels will allow your folks access through your
firewall and into your intranet for ftp, web, mail, telnet and file and
print services.  The tunnels provide 512bit authentication and 128bit RSA
RC4 encryption of all traffic. The cost is about $150 per user, turnkey.  Go
to the URL in my address line to download an eval copy.

At 10:08 AM 10/4/96 -0400, Steven E. Matkoski wrote:
>I am trying to set up a dial-in service for our company and would like
>to know how to handle file transfers between a terminal server and the
>firewall. Here is the layout: I have 4 cisco 2511's connected to the
>perimeter network (ethernet), which is attached to my firewall. I have
>to support async file transfers (X,Y,Z modem) to a ftp server within
>the secure network, how do terminal servers handle such transfers?
>do they convert to ftp? I dont know which ports to open for these
>transfers. Any help is appreciated.
>
>--
>
>Thanks!
>-steve.