Subject: Re: Duplicate IP addresses
From: "W.C. Epperson" <epperson @ vak12ed . edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 15:31:21 EDT
To: padgett @ tccslr . dnet . mmc . com (A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security) (A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85.2.1]

In a rare request for assistance, P. said:
> Spark the other day, will get around 2it RSN). Two ways to tell what kind
> of machine it is (generally). From the MAC address, the first three octets
> are registered by card manufacturer (e.g. 00:00:C0 is Standard Microsystems
> Corp and will be found in a PC). The best listing I have seen (though need
> to check for a new one - someone with time please assist) is Michael A.
> Patton's Ethernet-Codes list. *Think* it was at MIT but no promises.

Had to track this list down recently to update my (somewhat brain-dead)
Novell LanAlyzer.  The horse's mouth appears to be at:

ftp://ftp.iee.org/info/stds/info.stds.oui

or send any mail to "info .
 stds .
 oui @
 ieee .
 org" and the nice robot will mail
it to you.  BTW, it appears to have been last updated 05/04/95.  If it's
that dynamic, the authoritative source is probably advisable to use.

Regards,
the other end of the horse (this week)
--
W.C. Epperson			"I have great faith in fools.
Senior SE                        Self-confidence, my friends call it."

    From: padgett @ tccslr . dnet . mmc . com (A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security)
Indexed By Date Previous: UUCP (in)security (was Re: Mail)
From: "Marc P. Rinfret" <Marc . Rinfret @ cit . canadair . ca>
Next: Re: Re[2]: FireWall software.....who's the best??
From: frankw @ in . net (Frank Willoughby)
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Duplicate IP addresses
From: "Brian T. Wightman" <wightman @ sol . acs . uwosh . edu>
Next: Re: Duplicate IP addresses
From: rowens @ cyberport . net