Subject: Re: Token Ring Firewalls?
From: Scott Barman <scott @ Disclosure . COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:57:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: Peter da Silva <peter @ nmti . com>
Cc: jrosansk @ ferc . fed . us, Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

(I am using Mr. da Silva's note only because it is convienent, not because
this is directed at him alone)

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Peter da Silva wrote:

> > Unless someone has come out with one over the last two-to-three months,
> > there are only ethernet-based firewall solutions.  This shows Unix'es
> > biggotry towards ethernet :-)  (please, no flames!  There are legitamate
> > reasons for using token ring)
>
> Why on earth couldn't you install the firewall toolkit or freestone on a
> suitably trimmed RS6000 running AIX and IBM's token ring gear?

This is the fourth comment over the list, not to mention the dozen or
so I got in email.  I wish everyone would not only go back to read my
original note, but the one I replied to.

The original note asked about a *commercial* firewall packages for
using over token ring.  By saying "commercial," I am assuming that the
person does not want FWTK, Freestone, or tcp_wrappers, but something
that is sold and by a vendor.  I know about these free versions, I run
all but Freestone (I haven't had time to look at it).

If you told me I forgot to mention NetSP on an RS/6000, then I would
have no reason to complain.  Then again, I think the person wanted pee
cee hardware, which I think would preclude the RS/6000!

Please folks, avoid flame wars, READ WHAT IS BEING WRITTEN BEFORE
RESPONDING!  Thank you.

(any further replies should be made to me via email and NOT on the list!)

scott barman
--
scott barman                  DISCLAIMER: I speak to anyone who will listen,
scott @