Subject: Re: Duplicate IP address
From: doc @ deathstar . lis . cch . com (Matthew J. D'Errico)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: sgcccdc @ citec . qld . gov . au (Colin Campbell)
Cc: jeff_wong @ bctransit . com, firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Aside from a Sniffer, there's no really reliable way.  I've checked
tons of tools for AIX, and found nothing useful.

For me, the quickest way to tell is to look at the ARP on the default gateway
for each subnet and follow the MAC address back to the origin.

Of course, unless someone's done something really stupid like assign
a gateway/router address to their workstation, I typically already know
one of the dup's because someone's complaining 8^)

-- Doc