Subject: Re: IPX firewall?
From: "Moubray, Steve" <SMOUBRAY @ dcc . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 20:19:00 -0500
To: "'firewalls @ greatcircle . com'" <firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>
Encoding: 63 TEXT

Rumar has it that the following was stated:
 --------
:From: Andrew Foss <afoss @
 translation .
 com>
:Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:02:23 -0700
:
:At 08:23 AM 9/12/95 -0700, Bradley E. Hubbard wrote:
:>
:>Hello,
:>
:>I'm wondering if anyone knows of any firewall products that have been
:>developed in and for an IPX environment?
:Internet Junction(recently purchased by Cisco) has a gateway that converts
:IPX to IP. It's available for Solaris, HP-UX, IRX ...
:It has the advantage of not putting TCP stacks on the IPX clients, but it's
:not the right solution for many people.
:1. TCP stacks are now free and Win95 and all that jive from Redmond will
:have it included.
:2. The IJ product still requires a dll on all the PC's.
:3. Compatability in gatewaying the 2 unlike protocols seems to be a
:continual challenge.
:4. It has to run as an application on a machine which will need to be
:adequately secured itself.
:5. Performance is limited.
:
:I don't want to offend anyone, but I think the right solution is just let
:the IPX clients live in the IP world as opposed to trying to gateway their
:protocols.
:>
:>Thanks in advance,
:>
:>Brad Hubbard
:>behubba @
 rssi .
 com
:>
:>
:Andrew Foss                                         Tel.
 415/494-NETS(6387)
:Network Translation Inc.                            Dir.  415/855-0725
:1901 Embarcadero Rd.                                FAX   415/424-9110
:Palo Alto, CA 94303                                 email
:afoss @
 translation .
 com
 :                                                   web
  www.translation.com

Instant Internet offers a dedicated IPX to IP gateway that is similar to the
Internet Junction package but doesn't require a dedicated WS.  It comes in
it's own little chassis (it's actually an Intel PC inside without a monitor
or keyboard port).  It functions with most WINSOCK based software.  The
reason I say most is because they have written their own WINSOCK.DLL that
talks IPX instead of IP.

It is a great solution for some Novell sites but I'm not sure about
performance at big sites.  This doesn't do much for sites that are running
IP everywhere and need to ensure software compatibility from many different
platforms but it is a nice product in the Novell market.

Steve Moubray     DCC, Inc.
10 2nd Street NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
(612) 378-4469    Fax (612) 378-4401
smoubray @
 dcc .
 com  http://www.dcc.com/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Firewall off Mortal Kombat XIV