Subject: firewall with only one IP address ???
From: "william.wells" <william . wells @ damark . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 06:49:00 +6C
To: FIREWALLS <firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

We got our IP address prior to choosing our provider so we didn't have that
problem: it is an issue through.  In retrospect, since all the Internet
traffic flow through a firewall, we are only externally using 1 IP address;
internally, we are using more of those 256 addresses.  Since IP lookup is
via DNS and our internal systems generally use "internal only" IP addresses,
I've since determined that switching to a different Class C wouldn't really
be a significant problem-- a couple of routers, systems, DNS changes, and
coordinating with the root DNS server gods and we'd be done.

Still, one does get possessive of ones IP address networks.....

>From: billcurr @
 cyberspace .
 com
>The bummer with that is, (as UUNET just informed me this morning) is if I
>ever switch providers or dump UUNET, they want their 256 IP addresses BACK.
>
>>Agreed with Don:
>>
>>What's the deal? A class C will give you 256 IP addresses and most
>>corporations can qualify for this.  Maybe you should go to some of the
>>larger ISPs if you're having a problem.

William Wells
Manager, Technical Support
Damark International, Inc