Subject: Re: Secure version of Sendmail
From: chk @ psa . pencom . com (Christian Kuhtz)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 15:10:26 -0500 (CDT)
To: ac @ hawk . twinds . com (Arley Carter)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

> Excuse me for being dense but.........  Since when did sendmail become
> secure?  In case your wondering, I am *not* trying to start a Dr. Fred
> flame war.  I'm just curious, what do you mean by secure?
> Or am I missing something?  Has something new happened to sendmail that
> I don't know about?

Ask secure as an as complex program as Sendmail V8 can probably be (considering
the history). At any rate, if you don't trust Sendmail V8, wrap it using SMAP
from the TIS toolkit.  Which is probably your best bet in that case anyways
due to the nature of Sendmail. Your only chance is to try to stay as up to date
as possible with regards to new releases of Sendmail V8 -- common sense IMHO.
Eric Allman has done a fabulous job as far as security is concerned. MHO.
Note: I'm talking specifically about Sendmail V8. Everything else is definitely
a lot more than just a firehazard.

Regards,
Chris

--___  ____ __
 | _ \/ __/|  \   Christian Kuhtz <chk @
 psa .
 pencom .
 com>	       +1 914-684-4467
 |  _/\__ \| \ \  Pencom System Administration Services	  fax: +1 914-684-3791
 |_|  /___/|_|__\ on-location at Advantis/IBM Global Network, White Plains, NY

Best Regards,
Chris

From: Arley Carter <ac @ hawk . twinds . com>
Next: Re: Secure version of Sendmail
From: Arley Carter <ac @ hawk . twinds . com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Secure version of Sendmail
From: Arley Carter <ac @ hawk . twinds . com>
Next: Re: Secure version of Sendmail
From: Arley Carter <ac @ hawk . twinds . com>