Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(July 1994)

Subject: Re: Questions about security of Frame Relay networks.
From: tdn @ tdn . xyplex . com (Thomas D. Nadeau)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 10:15:22 EDT
To: krumvp @ spiff . Tymnet . COM
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

>krumvp> All the Frame Relay networks I know of don't route traffic
>krumvp> through sites that aren't owned by the network operator. So
>krumvp> it is a bit harder for a given user to see any traffic of
>krumvp> another customer unless they get into the public (or private)
>krumvp> network itself.

		Think again.  There are some (unnammed) Frame Relay (and X.25)
providers which use IP tunneling over public IP networks (ie: The
Internet) to connect their F/R switches.  In this case, your data is
in the clear as it traverses the Internet.

		--tOM

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------/
\                                                                     \
/  Thomas D. Nadeau                            ========      ======== /
\  Internetworking Software                      =======   =========  \
/  Xyplex, Inc.                                   =======  ======     /
\  295 Foster Street,                              ========  ==       \