Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(July 1994)

Subject: University networking
From: Kenneth Duda <kjd @ DSG . Stanford . EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 23:11:13 -0700
To: criney1 @ abacus . tis . tandy . com
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

>> Yes, I have gone out in LEFT field here, but I hate it when someone
>> throws in 'BUT WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSITIES' rebuttal.  If someone is on
>> this list and is representing a UNIVERSITY, hopefully they are interested
>> in securing thier site(s), in some form or fashion.

Not all academic institutions are insensitive to the directions in
which the Internet appears to be evolving.  Our research group, partly
constructing a firewall that we hope will be suitable for academic and
administrative organizations both within Stanford and at other
universities.  In general, our approach is similar to much of what is
discussed on this list, possibly with greater emphasis on
collaboration and local administration.  Members of the Stanford
information systems staff are watching our slowly-proceeding efforts
as they grapple with the difficulties of protecting a University
network.

I welcome contact with other organizations with similar goals.

Kenneth J. Duda                http://www-dsg.stanford.edu/KennethDuda.html
<kjd @
 cs .
 stanford .
 edu>          Stanford University Distributed Systems Group
415-723-9429                   Building 460  /  Stanford, CA 94305