Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(July 1994)

Subject: Re: Security of Appletalk and Dial back modems
From: "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny @ austin . unimelb . edu . au>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 16:14:56 +1000 (EST)
To: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Cc: John Gibbins <johng @ ichr . uwa . edu . au>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

I just thought of a way to potentially subvert a firewall using appletalk.
I'm going to have to review the Appletalk situation here... :-(

1.  Find a poorly configured Mac which allows file-sharing to its
    System Folder.
2.  Write an ethernet-sniffing INIT and drop it into the System Folder.
3.  Wait for the Mac to be rebooted and collect the traffic.
4.  Read the results, and hope that some useful info is there.

I'm not saying the above is easy, but I think the theory looks right.

Danny