Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(July 1994)

Subject: Re: DNS without NIS with /etc/hosts under SunOS-4.1.3 ?
From: Mark <mooks @ gravity . science . gmu . edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 13:33:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: her @ iitb . fhg . de (Helmut Herzog)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, her @ GreatCircle . COM

>Thank You very much to all which responded to my "DNS without NIS" question.
>After I build a new libc.so, DNS without NIS works now on my machine.
>But only DNS works. The /etc/hosts file now will be ignored.
>
>Is it possible to have DNS without NIS with /etc/hosts under SunOS-4.1.3 ?

Bleah.. ok so we dont get a flood of "dont post this" etc I'll say this,

On thor.ece.uc.edu is a large collection of sun info, FAQs, patches etc.
If you have a sun, visit it and get the info and patches and source you
need. If you have a sun firewall, you will need the various patches on
it anyway, especially for source routing.

Mark
mark @
 netsys .