Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(April 1994)

Subject: Re: Denial of service attacks on Domain Name Servers (DNS) possible?
From: "Joseph W. Stroup" <nettech @ crl . com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: H Morrow Long <long-morrow @ CS . YALE . EDU>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com, namedroppers @ nic . ddn . mil, long-morrow @ CS . YALE . EDU

I understand that there are alot of smart people who get this group but,
while you do add a disclaimer - You stimulate people's gray matter on the
subject. Some things are just better left alone. Its not up to us to
judge who will and who won't conform to what your or my ideas of
operation should be.

You mention the Green Card Asshole. And thats just what the guy was. But,
it was not the fault of the provider. Sort of like selling guns and the
holding the merchant liable for the customer doing the crime. I would
suggest a more concentrated effort be put forth into writing a "little C
program" to deal with the problem as it happens. There are answers to
everything - its just that we may not like what we hear. Sooner or later
ads will come to the net , along with other things. Defend against it,
write code around it or whatever. Otherwise you might have gov't
regulation and the phone company as you only provider.

I guess it just hits me wrong when you wake up people to the fact that a
sites DNS can be shot to hell. Most of us know that, we just don't talk
about distructive solutions to shitty problems.

Here's to the Green Card Lawyer - Maybe he will be deported - Soon !

Joseph Stroup