Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(April 1994)

Subject: SNK key checksums
From: lacoursj @ uprc . com (Jeffrey D. LaCoursiere)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 08:47:27 +0600
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

When loading a Digital Pathways SNK key with the initial 24 digit
seed, the key provides a checksum so you can verify that you loaded
what you meant to load.  Digital Pathways sells a box to manage the keys
that can generate "random" 24 digit seeds and provide a checksum that
should match what the key will generate after loading.  Being cheap,
(or maybe just cost-conscious :-> ) we opted for the TIS toolkit and
did not buy the authentication server from Digital Pathways.  We are using
the toolkit's "snkkey" to generate the "random" 24 digit seeds.

The question?  Has anyone figured out the algorithmn being used
by the key to generate the checksum displayed after loading?  Would be
very nice to hack snkkey to spit out both a "random" seed and the checksum
that will match what the key itself displays...

Jeff LaCoursiere
Network Admin
UPRC
Ft. Worth, TX

Indexed By Date Previous: RE: Wanted: firewall manager position description