Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(April 1994)

Subject: Re: Encrypted tunnels
From: Steve Kennedy <steve @ gbnet . org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 1994 23:12:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: mcimail . com!0003858921 @ gbnet . org
Cc: greatcircle . com!firewalls @ gbnet . org

Bob,

> I need to understand how do create encrypted tunnels between trading
> partners where there can be no requirement of matching firewall products.

You could get a commercial KarlBridge. This will allow tunnelling (of
any protocol within IP) between any two (or more) addresses. The tunnel
may also be encrypted.

If the traffic is purely IP that may be encrypted between any addresses.

Currently the encryption is really a 'translation' on a byte basis.

This is not 'real' encryption (UK GCHQ definition anyway) but is good
enough to deter snoopers etc.

There are plans to implement DES/IDEA etc. but then the bridge is
covered under munitions and export becomes a problem.

Current all encryption work is being 'designed' in the UK, but there
are still problems with exporting encryption code.

Regards

Steve

--
 ___  |_  ___        ___  Tel: +44 (0)71 483 1169 Voice
(___  |  (___) \  / (___) Data: 483 2454 WorldBlazer T3000 PEP+/v32bis...
 ___) |  (___   \/  (___  Data: 483 2455 WorldBlazer T3000 V32bis/PEP+...
                          ISDN: 722 7969/70
Email                                                            Snail Mail
steve @
 gbnet .
 {org,com,net}                [home]               Steve Kennedy
steve @
 marvin .
 demon .
 co .
 uk  [DIS dialup internet]        Flat 2, 43 Howitt Rd
stevek @
 cellnet .
 co .
 uk                     [work]             London, NW3 4LU