Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(April 1994)

Subject: Re: Encrypted tunnels
From: imarr @ london . micrognosis . com (Ian Marr)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 15:01:53 +0100 (BST)
To: 0003858921 @ mcimail . com (Robert G. Moskowitz)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Robert G. Moskowitz writes:

> I need to understand how do create encrypted tunnels between trading
> partners where there can be no requirement of matching firewall products.

   If I understand this correctly ... you could do the following:

   Morning Star PPP can tunnel IP over a (unique/predictable) TCP
   circuit. So ... setup two PPP hosts internally, inside your networks,
   punch some holes in your firewalls and routers (we use the TIS toolkit
   plug-gw and a Cisco/IGS) and point the PPP vct at the holes. You should
   be able to do this with most firewalls and routers. PPP can be
   configured to encrypt all the traffic across the tunnel giving you
   transparent IP between your two company's networks; but you can also
   use PPP's filtering to restrict stuff too.

   Well, that's the theory, I want to do the same thing between London and
   the States but the other end are a bit sloooow. Let us know if you get
   any other, more sensible ideas. (Hey, it's just after "lunch" :-).

   Ian.
Ian Marr, Systems Manager, Micrognosis, 63 Queen Victoria St, London, EC4N 4UD
imarr @
 london .
 micrognosis .
 com                                   +44-71-815-5254