Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(April 1994)

Subject: system()
From: francis @ avalle . insoft . com (John [Francis] Stracke)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 13:29:14 +0500
To: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

>Since this sort of BASIC-grade programming is such a perennial problem, perhaps
>someone should write a safe_system() to replace such calls with, that does
>more arg checking, flushes dangerous things, warns of impending lossage, etc?
>One or more instances of this should have been written ten years ago.

It'd be AI-complete.  How do you know what's dangerous & what's not?
I'd rather not have people thinking safe_system() is safe when it
really isn't.

|John (Francis) Stracke  | My opinions are my own.                          |
|Mechanicsburg, PA       | If you're going to walk on thin ice,             |
|francis @
 insoft .
 com      |  you might as well *dance*!                      |