Subject: IP packet filtering firewalls on a cisco router
From: Paul Traina <pst @ cisco . com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 21:33:49 -0800
To: cisco @ spot . colorado . edu
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

I've recently updated my examples for firewall building on ftp.cisco.com.

I would suggest to anyone who is interested in implementing general
purpose IP firewalls using packet filtering on a cisco router (or on any
packet filtering device) take a peek at this stuff.

    ftp.cisco.com:/ftp/acl-examples.tar.Z

Also of interest is

    ftp.cisco.com:/ftp/passive-ftp.tar.Z

which is a FTP client modifed to not require inbound TCP connections on
random ports greater than 1023.

Neither of these applications is supported by cisco Systems or myself.
There are no guarantees that building a firewall system using these tools
will protect you from anything.  This information is provided for educational
purposes only.  Your milage may vary...  (read: if you get hit anyway, don't
blame us)

Paul

Indexed By Date Previous: Allowing FTP and TELNET through firewall.