Subject: Re: Boy, won't CERT love me now
From: Edward DeHart <ecd @ cert . org>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 94 9:59:39 EST
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

>               DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS: RESPONSE TEAMS ONLY
>
>         DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE OR POST ANY PART OF THIS DRAFT ADVISORY
>
>               DO NOT STORE IN CLEAR TEXT - DELETE OR ENCRYPT
>

> Enclosed is a draft of a future CERT advisory. It is possible that this
> draft will be altered several times before a final CERT advisory is
> produced.  Please do not use this draft as the foundation when creating
> your advisory.  A final version of the draft will be sent before we
> distribute our advisory.
>
> Do not distribute this draft in any form until after we have released it.

Remember, this is a draft.  FIRST teams distribute draft advisories between
each other for comments in order to make sure the information is both
correct and understandable.  This is a copy of the first draft that we
worked on.

Posting a draft of any response team's advisory might be good for your
ego, however, it could do a dis-service to the community at large.  There are
times when drafts contain incorrect information or incomplete information.
You take the risk of people ignoring the real Advisory because they
believe they had already seen it.  This could cause the wrong version
of patches to be installed or important steps be missed.

The errors in the draft advisories are found during the review process
which also includes the vendor community.  This draft advisory, for example,
is the first draft release so there isn't any reason to believe any of it.

I don't have the next draft in front of me but I will share some of the
changes with you.  Fortunately, in this case the changes are minor changes
this time.  The draft doesn't point out that Solaris 2.x doesn't have the
mountd problem.  We had a question about how Sun corrected the cache problem
which was answered after draft went out.  The information in this draft
is correct.

I don't know what the release of the Advisory will look like.  I believe that
it will be released Monday.

Ed

Indexed By Date Previous: Boy, won't CERT love me now