Subject: Gopher server on a unix host
From: "Craig A. Finseth" <fin @ unet . umn . edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 08:02:52 -0600
To: johns @ oxygen . house . gov
Cc: Firewalls @ greatcircle . com

   Does anyone have a recipe for configuring gopher so that it does not open
   a gaping hole in a security perimeter?
   For example, is it sufficient to control what directories it reaches (a la FTP)
   and replace its popen() with one that parses for and precludes ";" and similar
   tricks?

Don't know about the "default" Gopher, but I am writing such a secure
beastie in Perl.  Hope to have it released in a couple of weeks.  If
interested, drop me a note and I will let you know when it's
available.

Craig A. Finseth                        Craig .
 A .
 Finseth-1 @
 umn .
 edu
University Networking Services          fin @
 unet .
 umn .
 edu
University of Minnesota                 +1 612 624 3375 desk
130 Lind Hall                           +1 612 625 0006 problems
207 Church St SE                        +1 612 626 1002 fax
Minneapolis MN 55455-0134, USA          member, LPF
"A ship is safe in a harbor, but that's not what a ship is for" -- unknown