Subject: Re: Two security issues
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921 @ mcimail . com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 10:30 EST
To: "Bryan D. Boyle" <bdboyle @ maverick1 . erenj . com>
To: Firewalls <Firewalls @ greatcircle . com>

>Actually, if you are running a reasonably well-constructed firewall
>system along the design of SEAL or the TIS toolkit, and are pathologically
>paranoid by not having any logins to the firewall machines, then the attack

>described in the CERT advisory is one of those "oh yeah, I remember those
>days of harvesting userids and passwords...".

Provided you don't have any UNIX boxes with modems on them.  Seems like UNIX
support people what their cake to eat, or is it their managers.  Production
UNIX boxes with modems so that support people can dial into the console from
home if something goes south at night.  We supposedly set ours up with dial
back for this purpose, but these make great backdoors to crackers...

Bob

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: restricting Internet Access