Subject: Re: Socks and DNS
From: Mark Ferneau <ferneau @ reality . palo-alto . sterling . com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 11:04:53 PST
To: hp90101 @ internet . sbi . com (Harry Protoolis)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

> Is this related to the absence of DNS ? BTW, there is no message generated
> on the gateway host.

I believe so, yes.

DNS does not have to be running on your interior hosts, but it does
have to run on the bastion host.  I am doing this at my site.
The bastion host runs DNS while the internal hosts use SOCKS to
get the DNS information from the bastion host.

In the socks.h file, I have defined SOCKS_DEFAULT_NS and
MULTIHOMED_SERVER (you'll want the latter in a dual-homed
approach).

If you want, I'll send my socks.h file to you.

--Mark